HOST FAMILY GUIDELINES
The following guidelines have been developed and MUST BE FOLLOWED when selecting host families.
The natural parents expect friendly host families who integrate the participant in their daily life. Families are not requested to organize special activities or events but they should be dynamic enough to ensure the participant that they host will be fully integrated into their home and community.
- English must be the “main” language of the household. The Host families must be second generation or more in Canada; all the members of the family must speak fluent English. Everyone must use English in the home during full student stay.
- Host family parent(s) should be at least 25 years of age but under 70.
- The family must consist of at least 2 people, one of which, is an adult female that is related to another member of the household. (not a roommate)
- No more than 4 international students can be hosted at the same time
- Except for specific request from Nacel, students speaking the same native language cannot be placed together. Homestay coordinators are to verify if any other student in home speaks French/Spanish before placement.
- Hosting must be in the house or apartment occupied by the family
- The home cannot be a mobile home. It must be a permanent structure.
- There must be some form of transportation available, either public (transit bus) or a family vehicle
- HOMESCHOOL PROGRAM: Homeschool teacher of the family stay he/she must have a university degree or a TEFL-like diploma to teach lessons.
THE HOST FAMILY SHALL OFFER THE FOLLOWING ELEMENTS OF MINIMUM COMFORT
- Individual bed and storage space for personal belongings
- Sharing a room with another student or a child of the family is acceptable as long as both are of the same gender and relatively of the same age [no more than 2-3 years difference]. If the student is sharing a room it must be indicated on the questionnaire.
- A bathroom/toilet area (Shared with family members is acceptable)
- Access to a telephone
- Families must:
- provide all meals (packed-lunch for lunches)
- change bed linen regularly
- provide laundry services
- integrate their student in the family life
- Nacel participants are not allowed to smoke. If a participant is caught smoking he/she will receive a warning and be placed on probation by local coordinator immediately. In turn, the natural parents will be advised of infraction in writing by their agency. We ask that the host family to be involved in this process and for our part, we will give them our full support.
- Families have to be visited at home when recruited, if they are a repeat Nacel family with no changes, then a visit every 2nd year is acceptable. All changes which occurred in the host family must be updated with the coordinator as they apply.